Monday, October 25, 2010

SLAM 2

Photographing last week's poetry slam was a real challenge.
There was one lightbulb in the entire room. One. It was above and behind where the poets performed.
My original goal for the night was to get some shots from the front, since most of my stuff from SLAM 1 was from the side. I figured I'd use my 70-200 to get it done. A little VR, I figured, goes a long way.

Whew.
6,400 ISO, F/2.8 at 1/20 sec handheld.
Tough stuff.








As usual, no noise reduction. I'm surprisingly pleased with how well ISO 6,400 turned out. Especially considering I was shooting a ridiculously low shutter speed.

The poets seems to enjoy the attention. I think they'll be really pleased when I put the whole thing together into a movie/multimedia presentation. That's at least a couple weeks off though. This week I'm bringing my 50mm F/1.8 and my wide angle. Hopefully I can persuade a couple poets to perform for video. Getting a couple poems on video would really ramp up the quality of this thing.

In other news, my Einstein setup is scheduled to arrive today. I'm more than a little excited, but I'm going to go to class anyway, since I skipped two days last week.

Have a great Monday!