Friday, October 22, 2010

Ignore the Brand

David duChemin put up a discussion today on his move from Canon to Nikon.

Joey L created a hugely sucksessful video about Nikon Girl

Pixel peepers all over the world debate Nikkor vs Canon vs Sigma.

Of course, then we get into Apple vs Windows. Don't even get me started on that one.

This stuff starts comment and forum wars that rage with impressive fury. Already, David duChemin's post has 84 comments. It's been maybe three hours. That's more comments than this blog gets in a year.

I have a solution to all of the consumers out there. Yes, that's you.

Ignore the brand.

Yeah. I said it.

I don't care if you got it from Wal Mart, Target, or frigging Louis Vitton. I don't care if you shoot Sony, Pentax, Nikon or Canon. It doesn't matter if use Windows or Macintosh.

What matters is: Does it work for you?

The product can be $1 tissues or a $5,000 camera. It doesn't matter what brand it is, as long as it gets the job done for you.

I happen to prefer Apple's operating system over Windows. Would I switch if Windows came out with an operating system that I like? Hell yeah I would.

Would I switch to Canon if I thought they were better than Nikon in every way? You betcha.

Ultimately, blind brand loyalty is the downfall of the average consumer. By ignoring windows products as an apple fan, or by writing off all apple products because they don't "get stuff done," you're screwing yourself.

Don't worry though. Since I'm sure you don't want to spend the rest of your life screwing yourself, I have a solution for you.

Look at the features. Look at the price. Ignore the brand.

Focus on getting the most bang for your buck. In doing that, you'll soon realize that blind brand loyalty will screw you out of options. A lot of them.

For instance. I had a couple bad experiences with Western Digital hard drives. As such, I've been looking at hard drives from their competitors, whilst stubbornly ignoring anything with the WD logo.

Turns out that all hard drive manufacturers have bad runs. It also turns out that WD has some of the cheapest portable 500gb hard drives right now. If I were to buy new drives right now, I would have to consider all my options to avoid screwing myself out of the best deal.

I feel like this post needs some images... but I got nothin'. Hopefully more to come next week when I get my Alienbee EINSTEIN setup!

PS. I make the same mistakes as everyone else. Here are some brands I am (a little too) loyal to:
 APPLE, NIKON, NIKKOR, AMAZON (instead of iTunes), LOWEPRO, LEXAR, ADOBE, SEAGATE, and GLOCK.