Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Basketball Shoot

If you're new around here, I work for Media Relations at NAU. I photograph every home event, for every university sanctioned sport, all year long.

I also do some marketing stuff on occasion. Last week was one of those occasions.

Usually, the basketball teams spend the majority of their season playing in the Walkup Skydome. This year however, the Dome will be closed for remodeling. As such, they'll be playing in Rolle Activity center.

The theme for these posters: Rock the Rolle

click to enlarge

#1

#2

Boys only

We had a blast shooting this series. Most of the basketball players are also avid Guitar Hero or Rock Band players, so they were able to get into the idea and make it a lot of fun.

These aren't finished versions of the posters - they are my edits that go to the graphic designers. The graphics people will add words and team schedules and such.

We used 7 Profoto D1 monolights. One beauty dish, two grids, two softboxes and two on the background. I let myself get talked into gelling the background lights, which was a really bad idea. They came out terrible, so I had to nuke the background and cut out each of the players. I'm a total PS novice, so that process takes me between 1.5 and 2.5 hours for each photo. Blech.

Overall, I'm pleased with the results. When I see the finished version of the poster, I'll be sure to post it here.

Oh, here's the last frame in the series:


Like I said, we had fun.