Monday, September 7, 2009

Random Photo

It has been raining a lot in Flagstaff, AZ the last week and it looks like we're finally going to get a bit of a break.
So, on a bright sunshine-y day, I give you this photo:
I shot this after the conclusion of a cross country meet on Saturday. I showed up 20 minutes late due to my fantastic sense of direction the ease with which I found the location. >_<
Eventually though, I did find the park and I was in place with plenty of time to shoot the men's 8k race. They ran it in about 25 minutes, the last 15 of which they were soaked. It was not some wussy pitter-patter rain. It was a good sized thunderstorm.
Here's a link to my shot and the story on the NAU Athletics website

Aaaaaanyway, after the last guys from NAU crossed the finish line, I looked around for something interesting to shoot, mostly to keep my mind off how cold I was and how wet my gear was. I surreptitiously kept my lens on this little girl for 10 minutes or so while waiting to hear if we'd be doing trophy presentations or not. We were huddled under a decent-sized roof with 30 other people seeking shelter from the rain, so her parents weren't too concerned with her wandering off and she meandered around the structure, splashing in puddles and eventually standing just in front of her mom all cute-like. That's when I snapped this frame.
I spent some serious time in PS to get a decent texture and some believable contrast. The water totally skewed my exposure meter and as such I was shooting about 1.5 stops over.

Overall, the image looks a little more processed than I usually like... but for some reason I like it this way.

That's it for now! Enjoy your Monday!