Thursday, September 16, 2010

Sinister motives

Yesterday evening I sat down with my buddy Christina (who inspired the post on Quality v Quantity) and we did some portraits.

My cover reason was because I have an assignment due today in my color portrait class on basic lighting technique. The real reason I photographed her was much more sinister.

bare SB600 bounced off the wall

That reason being: She's gorgeous! 

I think a lot of people have a hard time realizing their own self-worth. If you aren't told regularly how beautiful or (for the gentlemen) how handsome you are, you won't believe it when you do hear it. 

Part of my goal as a portraiture photographer is to uncover the hidden beauty in everyone. Yes, I'm artsy fartsy enough to believe that the human form is beautiful by definition. At the same time, I'm willing to admit that some people are more beautiful than others. My goal is simply to show that beauty to the subject and to the world. It's important that the subject/client knows what my goal is. I think a lot of the reason people get so nervous in front of the camera is that they don't understand the photographer's intentions. My sinister goal is: to make my subject feel beautiful.

There you go. I said it. Cat out of the bag and all that. Whenever someone is in front of my camera, my goal is to (in my own way) make them feel beautiful. A lot of the photography I do is pretty dark/moody/creepy. My goal doesn't change - it just takes a little bit to see around/through the mood of the photograph to see the beauty hidden within.

Originally I intended to have her portrait in color - but at midnight last night I didn't have the patience to work with color. Besides, regular readers here will know I'm a sucker for black and white. Perhaps if I get some time in the next few days I'll work on the color version of this shot.

Have a fantastic Thursday! You are beautiful today and don't let anyone tell you otherwise!