Thursday, September 23, 2010

Camping: ashurst

This was the last portrait I shot with my D300 as its shutter was on the way out.
Early morning, getting our camping gear out of the tent and ready for a walk around Ashurst Lake.


Definitely my favorite portrait from the trip. I'm a huge fan of the whole backlit/lensflare combo, especially in warm tones or in black and white. It's something Chase Jarvis does a lot, and its something he does really well.

I also got a couple non-people shots  - a real surprise for me.

one of the few spots with no real footprints
This was the last good frame I got before the shutter died all the way.

I can't really decide between the next two frames. I like the color... but I like the duotone-ish look as well. What do you think?




I think it looks almost tilt-shift-ish, which it definitely isn't. Just a good ol' 28mm wide open at f/2.8

Last night I got my new camera gear from Amazon.com.
A brand new D300s and (finally) a 70-200mm f/2.8 VR II to go with it. I've wanted that lens for approximately forever. I'm guessing it was a damn good investment, and I'm excited to test it out and see what I can produce with it. Probably spent an hour going through the menus and setting things up the way that I like.

I'll do a post in the next week or so with my first impressions about the new gear. It will include a comparison between the D300 and the D300s.

Sure Happy It's Thursday!