Friday, July 3, 2009

The value of just getting out

I've been realizing more and more recently the value of just picking up the camera (or sketchbook, or instrument, or whatever) and going to find/make interesting subject matter.

Today I put my gear in the car and drove around first in my neighborhood, then down on the Pearl Street Mall. I got a bunch of good photos and most of them will end up on this blog at some point in the near future.

My favorite shot from the day is this:
I am still in love with the extremely rectangular crop!
Shot on the mall. She's sitting right in front of the huge rock/fountain thing up by Old Chicago.
I knew I had a few good shots of her, so I tried to introduce myself to her parents, offered them my card and said I'd be happy to give them a picture for free. They gave me the same treatment that people give everyone peddling crap on Pearl Street and walked away barely acknowledging me. Oh well, their loss I suppose.
If the parents come forward, I am still willing to honor that and email them a copy, but I doubt that will happen.

I managed to photograph a few kids and a couple musicians over the course of the evening. Some people accepted my business cards, but most did not. Either way, it felt good to get up, get out and be creative.