Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Valmont school: 1911

I have been meaning to shoot the old schoolhouse off Valmont and 63rd streets for a while.
Two days ago the light was favorable and I was looking for something along there to shoot. I chose the schoolhouse this time, but there are several nice barns/houses on Valmont and my goal is to make it to at least one more of them before I leave for college.

Tech: Nikon D300, 28mm f2.8, 1/800 sec, ISO200. PC: saturation and contrast were both +2, but I took saturation down a fair amount in Aperture to make it feel a little more old-time.



A detail shot with my 80-200. I don't like how the light blocks the view of the sign, but when I moved around to the other side there were powerlines and less-attractive objects in my way. The lesser of several evils.
Tech: D300, 80-200mm f2.8, 1/400 sec ISO 200, PC: again, both set at +2 and brought way down in Aperture for the old-time feeling.

On a totally unrelated note, a friend of mine just bought a D300 and was ranting and raving about the Active D-lighting setting. According to him, setting the D-lighting to "High" brings the tonal range of the D300 to somewhere closer to film. (I believe I heard digital can get you detail in almost 5 or 6 stops, whereas black and white 35mm film will give you detail up to 8 or 9 stops difference). AKA, you get detail in your shadows and you don't blow out your highlights. I will take a look at this, as I do not currently use the feature at all.

Coming soon, my new business cards and how I shot the pictures, as well as some self-portraiture.
-Matt