Wednesday, August 27, 2008

The R-strap for $1.50

After seeing the BlackRapid R-Strap I decided I needed to revise my own strap system. But, not having $50 to spend on a strap, I resolved to make something similar for less than $10.00.
I busted down to my local hardware store in Boulder and bought an eye-bolt for $1.35. Then, using a duller-than-average hack saw, I (with the help of my father) cut off about half of the bolt, such that it buried right to the hilt into the camera body. I then searched through my strap inventory (I have a habit of collecting straps), and happened upon the straps that came with my M-Rock camera holster. After taking a pair of wirecutters to the wimpy plastic clips and attaching a couple home-depot carabiners in their places, I was good to go!

a very basic strap for $1.50

(Pictures taken with the iSight camera on my Mac)

Maybe eventually I'll break down and buy one from BlackRapid, 'cause those have pockets for cell phones and such...
-Matt