Monday, February 14, 2011

Rant: Subject vs Technique

I was going to title this post "The value of naked models." I'm sure a post title like that would spike my traffic through the roof - but that isn't what I'm after here.

In fact, quite the opposite. I just checked my Flickr feed. It receives approximately no traffic on any given day. Yesterday, however, I posted the images from the hotel shoot with Christie:


I got all kinds of traffic to the few images that I posted. 
I got so much traffic that Christie's friends/acquaintances saw the pictures and she texted me begging that I take the images down so the whole world doesn't see her in her underwear.

I'm a nice guy (generally) so I (sorta) did as she asked. I didn't take them down - but I made them private, so only me and my friends on Flickr can see them.

I have two issues with this whole thing:
1) The pictures really aren't that super amazing. Technically speaking, as a photographer, they're OK but they aren't worthy of the the traffic that I got. Thus, I can assume my traffic was coming to see Christie mostly naked. I don't blame them, but as far as I can tell, none of these new viewers looked at any of my non-scantily-clad-female photos. Cummon!
2) Christie signed a waiver, so technically (legally) I can put these pictures wherever I want, for whatever purpose I want. Yet, she asks me to take them down and I do 'cause I'm (generally) a nice guy. This isn't the first time that this has happened. It seems to me that models do this all the time. I can work with it, but I'll admit it's annoying. To clarify (because I know Christie will read this) - pretty much every model I've worked with has done this at some point. 

Let me take this opportunity to say this to all the models in the world: Please don't do a shoot if you aren't comfortable with the whole world seeing the results, especially when those results generate a lot of traffic (albeit shallow traffic) for the photographer you're working with. I understand that you don't want your cousins or coworkers to see you in your underwear. But if that's the case, don't let people photograph you in your underwear unless you have specifically stated that these pictures will not be going on the internet. If you really mean it, don't sign a waiver that lets the photographer do whatever he or she likes with your photos. 

That said, I love working with Christie and I'll do pretty much whatever she wants in order to maintain the photog/model relationship and to generally keep her happy. Good models are hard to come by, and Christie is one of the best I have ever worked with.  

< / rant >

Happy Valentines day!