Monday, February 7, 2011

Lightbulb! (why I love photography)

It's been a while since I used my phone to take a picture that I liked.
My LG Optimus S phone does some weird stuff to the images that it produces... like a ton of noise reduction and some funky sharpening. Regardless, I got this picture the other night:


Honestly, I was surprised my phone could even capture something this bright. 


Are these pictures masterful works of art? No, they aren't. Do I like them anyway? You betcha.

More and more often these days I feel pressured to use my cameras to make amazing, life-changing images. You know what? That isn't what photography is all about. Sure it's great to do that once in a while... but photography is about expression. It's about showing the way you see the world around you. It's about creation. It's about the sound and feel of the shutter.

That's why I love photography. Because I am creating. I am making something that nobody else ever has. Even if the concept has been done a bazillion times, when I press the shutter I know what no one in the history of EVER has done exactly what I just did. Photography is a powerful drug feeling. Looking through my viewfinder, I am The Creator. I am the all-powerful master of the seen universe.

When I'm holding a camera, I feel like Mufasa is standing next to me, whispering in my ear "Everything the light touches is our Kingdom."



Photography makes me The Creator, and it makes the world My Kingdom. It empowers me to express how I feel and what I see. The simple act of creation is what makes photography, painting, drawing, or playing music worth it. Honestly, it doesn't matter if my pictures change the world. It doesn't matter if anyone ever sees my photos, because every time I push the shutter, I'm creating something.

That is why I love photography.

I love blogging too. Not because I'm an attention whore with an absolute need for recognition. I know it seems like that sometimes, but honestly - that isn't why I love it.
I love blogging because it allows me to share. I can share what I have created. I can share the work of others. I can share Willow Smith's greatest video (you know you love it). I can share whatever I want, with a (potentially) world-wide audience. Anyone with an internet connection can read what I have to share.

That's the end of my rant for today.

Here's another random link to an old post