Wednesday, February 16, 2011

An afternoon with the 2011 WRX

I've managed to get the hookups with a car dealership in Flagstaff. Essentially, we trade time for digital copies of the finished images. This works great for me for a couple reasons:
  1. I can build my portfolio quickly
  2. I establish a working relationship with a car dealership and meet new people
  3. I get to drive awesome cars
  4. The dealership falls desperately in love with my photographs

This afternoon I dropped by and picked up a brand new (172 miles) Subaru Impreza WRX. It's a really fun little car. Sounds great, looks good, is *way* too much fun to drive.

My goal with each car is to get ONE image I really like. I did that in just under an hour using a vacant lot  and waiting for the clouds to give me the light I was after.



The plan is to do 5 cars for free, then start charging the dealership per car. Right now I'm thinking $500/image for online-only rights for 1 or 2 years. Double that for print licensing. 

The Drive Planet Nissan Subaru Jeep is the dealership I'm working with. Everyone I've interacted with so far is super chill and very willing to help me help them.

That's it for now! Of course, I can't do a post without the obligatory plug for thevisualCollective trip!