Sunday, July 31, 2011

In the last ten days...

In the last ten days I have done.... precisely nothing creative or photographic.

Ok, that's not entirely true, but it's pretty close. I've been in the middle of a creative slump. No muse. No real vision, not a lot going on in my head.

Most people who do creativity know how it goes. Whether you call it a slump, a rut, or simply discouraging - it's not much fun any way you slice it.

To help myself get back on the creative horse, yesterday I traveled with Dahlia as her photographic assistant for a photoshoot in Buffalo Park. A beautiful location - though surprisingly warm under the sun, even at 9:00am.



I enjoyed assisting miss Dahlia, and eventually I got the chance for a few frames with our model for the morning, miss Rachel Lilly. She is an aspiring model looking to be signed by a particular modeling agency, the name of which I managed to forget.

Anyway, I had two goals for my brief shoot with miss Lilly:

  1. Don't rip off Dahlia's concept
  2. Make something that doesn't totally suck


I think I managed to do both. While Dahlia shot, I had the opportunity to look around and spy for alternative locations and ideas. It took me quite a while to figure out what I wanted to do, but slowly a vision formed. When it came to my turn with Rachel, I was able to create my concept within about about 50 frames.

 click to enlarge

That is that. With any luck, my muse will return to me as August envelopes Flagstaff. Until then, stay tuned for posts at www.thevisualCollective.com