Monday, July 11, 2011

Storm chasing images

As promised, here are my favorites from my recent week on the road.


Dust devils on the way out of Arizona. The only phenomenon we saw that even remotely resembled a tornado


Case measuring windspeed and direction

Controlled burns on the backroads of South-East Kansas



The Jesus Truck

Sunset at Fall River Lake as a big storm approached

The big storm. Lighting and thunder and wind around 3am

Drive-by shot through the window


Aftermath of our biggest storm and longest chase in Southern Colorado

I used the D300s and either the 70-200mm F/2.8 or the 35mm F/1.8 nearly the entire time. Occasionally I tossed on the 18-55 kit lens with my trusty wide-angle adapter to catch the entire storm front or to get a vignette straight out of camera.

Overall, it was an interesting experience. I don't think I'll be going out storm chasing again until I can get a better workflow together for checking radar, shooting, communicating, etc. Two people wasn't enough - but a team of three people would be perfect for storm chasing. Of course, I wouldn't mind getting some actual severe weather as well.

Coming soon: new portraits!