Monday, July 18, 2011

Portraits in Sepia: Alexandra

Yesterday marks the first time I have ever shot a portrait session in color and converted the whole thing into sepia. I knew it was coming, I just didn't know how I would feel about the results.





The magnificent Alexandra modeled for me in a truly stunning outfit. I toyed with the idea of letting some of the color of her red dress and lipstick bleed through the sepia toning, but ended up leaving the red out in favor of the more dramatic and more old-fashioned monochrome.

The setup was quite simple. One light (as is generally the case), diffused through a piece of paper to just take the edge off the harshness. Fill is natural light from a sky that couldn't make up its mind. Cloudy, sunny, cloudy, sunny made for many shutter speed adjustments during this shoot to balance things out.

After the shoot, I spent the day printing and framing my contributions to thevisualCollective's next gallery show - August will see tvC in Animas Beads with a greater variety of work and certainly many larger pieces to show!