Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Lights

After some deliberation, I've decided to buy myself a bigger light.

For less than what it costs me to get an SB900 speedlight, I can get an Alienbee Einstein.

I know, the whole world thinks Alienbee lights are the saddest, cheapest excuse for big lights out there. For the most part, I'd agree - except when it comes to the Einstein. It looks like Mr. Buff has really stepped up his game with this light.



I pre-ordered mine just moments ago. I'll get a Vagabond battery pack with it, and a reflector. Probably a 3' softbox as well. That will easily take care of the $750 check that should be heading my way from The Lumberjack.

Why not Profoto? I do get a pretty heavy discount on Profoto stuff as a student - I can get a D1 500 head for $739 - but I don't NEED profoto. I very rarely use strobes, and when I do it is even rarer that I need anything more than my SB-600. The Einstein unit will fill that requirement, will hold its value, and it will give me an inexpensive intro to the world of big lighting. Paying full price for the Einstein it is still $300 cheaper. That $300 buys me the battery pack so my new big light can go out into the world, because studios suck.

I'm going to carry around my big boy camera today and try to be creative. I'll probably rock the 28mm f/2.8, because I haven't used it in a while.

Have a great Hump Day!