Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Picture of the day



















Comtemplation: Life

I shot this on the 6th, same day as the Kawasaki, but I couldn't justify posting it first. Even though this picture took no photoshop, I like it a little bit less.
Still, pretty cool. I was going for a lot more light falloff than I got, but it worked out ok. Using my SB600 zoomed to 85mm (which is full zoom) I stuck on my homemade snoot and aimed it above and left of the model's head. The effect was almost what I was going for, and reminds me of Joe McNally's bicyclist shot on front of a waterfall, so I think I will keep it.

Tech: D300 with 18-55mm lens at 18mm. Vivid PC with contrast and saturation boosted +2 ISO 100, F6.3 and a shutter of 1/320th. I'm essentially exposing for the sky, maybe a third of a stop below and using the flash to bring up the subject to match the background exposure. SB5600 flash is on manual, 1/8 power or so, probably 5 feet from the model on a tripod.

I'm starting a new project. It's going to be black and white, so stick around 'cause it just might be cool.

-Matt