Tuesday, July 8, 2008

late night...

I have not been to bed before midnight in a week. I feel like such a teenager.

A couple of things that could not wait until tomorrow's post.
  1. I am LUSTING after the new Nikon SB900. Unfortunately there is absolutely no way I can afford it, so I will likely be purchasing another SB600 in the near future for my lighting needs and wants.
  2. I recalibrated my monitor today and it made a huge difference. I suggest that all of you reading this blog do the same. It takes maybe 5 minutes and when it is calibrated you see things the way they are intended to be seen (more or less). I am on 2.2 Gamma, because it is Windows standard (and most people are sadly still using Windows machines), and because you get more contrast that way. Apple is lazy and their Gamma default is 1.8. I find that amusing because Macs are what most artists/image professionals use.
  3. Photomerging with Photoshop is a lot of fun. I did the image below this evening and the result is surpisingly good. Much better than I could have done on my own (with my very limited photoshop knowledge). 



















Tech: 7 images (the Hoover dam is big!) taken at 18mm on the D300, stitched together using Photoshop CS's Photomerge option. I chose to keep the hard corners because they're fun. If I do these often I will likely crop the image or erase the hard corners where the pictures overlap. I did this in about 5 minutes.

-Matt