Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Extra computer...

So, I've been volunteering large amounts of my time at a local nonprofit called Boulder Community Computers. In exchange for volunteer hours, which I would give anyway, I was able to wrangle myself an Apple G5 computer. 1.6ghz, 1.5gb of RAM, and some mismatched crappy harddrives that I've replaced with 2x 250gb drives.

Unfortunately, its a Power PC. That means no badass applications like Aperture, Photoshop, Bridge, etc will run on it. It doesn't have a clue what to do with them. I'm toying with the idea of using it as a fileserver at my house - throwing down for a couple monster hard drives and using it to store music, movies, etc.

I feel like this kind of machine could probably serve some other use that I haven't thought of - do any of my readers have any suggestions? If you got a computer that didn't run your big, bad applications (and thus couldn't become your workhorse machine) what would you do with it?

Let me be clear - I'm not giving this sucker away. I've earned it fair and square with my (so far) 17 hours of service - and I will continue to volunteer at Boulder Community Computers (bococo) for the rest of the summer because its so darn fun. 

Anyway, your suggestions are appreciated.

I'm going to do a post on BOCOCO in the near future, most likely next week, to showcase what they do and why they do it. Until then, hit up their website, Facebook, twitter, etc! And if you've got a decent computer that you no longer need, consider donating it! If you've got some money or some time that you don't need either, donate those as well!