Thursday, July 8, 2010

Camera Bag for everyday use

I'm addicted to camera bags. I admit it. I've gone through quite a few in search of the *perfect* one.

I store all my photo gear in what I believe is the perfect camera bag - but it is huge and weighs 50 lbs fully loaded. I definitely won't be carrying that with me wherever I go. I use the LowePro CompuTrekker AW Plus. Its huge.

When I first started shooting, I carried a camera with me at all times. Recently I've decided to continue doing that. My major problem - my camera is expensive and bulky. I don't want people to rip it off, and it is a PITA to carry around. Sure, the D300 is durable enough to handle everyday use - but it is righteously large.

My solution:


Its more like a man-purse *ahem* satchel than a messenger bag, but it is just large enough to hold the basics

  • D300 w/ grip and 50mm f/.8
  • Leatherman tool
  • Spare headphones (I hate the apple headphones, but they work in a pinch)
  • Glasses case
  • Toothbrush
  • Bandana and Scarf
  • Extra 3" knife
  • Lighter


Also, just in case I leave it somewhere, there is no doubt about who it belongs to



Of course, it holds an iPad perfectly in the back pocket so if I need to show off my portfolios, I can!

I think of this as my "oh sh*t" bag - I've always got it with me and I can live out of it for a few days if necessary - All I really need is a camera and a toothbrush. As soon as my new Lexar cards get here, I will relegate 8gb of old cards to this bag - I'll have 12gb in the bag at all times.

Questions? Comments? Concerns?