Monday, February 20, 2012

Wandering: Jerome

Yesterday it snowed in Flagstaff.
I wasn't in the mood for snow, so I accepted Kristen's invitation to visit Jerome for the day.

If you don't know anything about Jerome, it's a cute little town nestled on the side of a tall hill (not quite a mountain) that is supposedly haunted by a great variety of ghosts and whatnot.

We spent the afternoon wandering around town taking pictures.

In continuing to evaluate my Nikon P7000, I brought it along to see if I could actually use it to make pictures that I like. I'm currently toying with the idea of bringing it along to thevisualCollective's Havasupai trip, rather than my big nasty D300s.

Here are my results in no particular order.




 
  
Random dude smoking in the alley 
 


Overall, I enjoyed working with this camera. I look like a tourist, which means when I asked to photograph the random dude smoking in the alley, he didn't mind one bit. Just some tourist instead of a threatening professional photographer. The camera is also WAY lighter than the D300s, so I was more free to wander, climb, jump as I saw fit.
To be fair, I spent more time in post production working these images than I do with the big camera. It's a lot harder to figure out what I'm actually getting with the small camera - so I don't immediately know if I "nailed it" or if I'm just close enough to fix it in post... *cringe*
I hope that by using the camera more and more, I'll be able to learn it's quirks better and thus be more effective in using it to translate my vision into reality. I will likely be using it next weekend for thevisuaCollective's monthly Photowalk.

Anyway. That's all for now. Stay tuned this week for more automotive pictures!