Sunday, February 26, 2012

Adventureland: local

Friday was a big adventure day for me. Originally, I planned to shoot a client in the morning. Client cancelled at 0600 the day of the shoot, but I was already up. Taylor Mahoney had agreed to assist me, so he was awake too. We decided we might as well go out and do some personal shooting. 
We headed out to the fairgrounds and the empty horse tracks instead of driving down to Sedona to meet the client.










My big focus for the morning shoot was composition. The color monochrome is partly influenced by the old-fashioned feel I got from the race tracks, and partly to emphasize lines and tones, rather than color. 
My second local adventure was a hike out past the naval observatory, just for fun and a chance to escape the confines of my domicile. I did that adventure with my P7000, which I dump far less regularly than my big camera. We'll see those pictures sometime next week.
Adventure #3 for the day was out past Lake Mary, to what used to be a railroad bridge.
my buddy Preston and some of his buddies were working a first ascent on an 80 foot highline. We showed up around 9pm and photographed dinner and the early part of the rigging process for the highline.

Dinner

Mesmerizing fire

Warming up the shoes

Trip - the camp puppy


Mike rigging on tower 1

Mike 80 feet up, jugging up tower 2

I spend a lot of time shooting at ISO 6400 for sports - so I just kept it there. Most of these pictures were in the neighborhood of 1/30 sec, ISO 6400, F/1.8. Lighting is a mix of truck headlights, personal headlamps and firelight. I used noise reduction for the first time in over a year.
Noise isn't so bad when you can overexpose an image by 1/3 or 2/3 stop because it is a lot less apparent in highlights. In anything low key, noise will take over and let you know who is boss. The pitch black of night at 0130, everything is low key and noise is king. Not that I'm complaining - I like a bit of noise/grain in my photos.
My favorite filmstock is 1600 ISO Fuji.

Anyway. A card-dump from the P7000 is imminent, especially after today's photowalk with thevisualCollective.