Tuesday, October 11, 2011

What I'm packing

Last night I started preparations for thevisualCollective's trip to Havasupai starting *early* Friday morning.

I purchased a serious backpack specifically for this trip. What's more, it is a $200 backpack that I got for $20 on Craigslist. Yes!

Here's what it looks like loaded up:


And here are the contents:

Starting at the bottom left corner and working clockwise:
2x T shirts
4x Socks
Adventure pants (quick-dry, zip-off, cargo pants - double as swimshorts)
black hoodie
serious rain jacket
3x bandana
Serious hiking boots
Adventure hat
bag of miscellaneous medications
3x 1 liter water bottles
First Aid kit. Scissors, Gauze, tape, gloves etc.
SB 600 Speedlight
6x 4gb 300x CompactFlash memory cards
18-55mm kit lens
D300s camera body
35mm f/1.8 lens
Bread!
PB&J (not pictured)
2x Flashlight
headlamp
75' of rope
48 AA batteries
Hammock
Sleeping bag
Adventure knife

There you have it. Additionally, I will be wearing my second pair of adventure pants and a third T shirt, as well as a fifth pair of socks. The bag weighs less than 30 pounds with water-weight, so it shouldn't be too hard on me.

Things you may notice as missing: propane stove and alcohol.
I'd rather carry bread and PB&J than two tanks of fuel (one as a backup) and a stove-thing - no open fires are allowed in the canyon.
Also, the Havasupai tribe prohibits alcohol in the canyon.

Resources:
Campground info
Village info