Thursday, October 20, 2011

tvC v4.0

Shame on me, the horrible blogger. It's been a while since I blogged about anything personal...

My life is ridiculous these days. Entirely too much to do and too few waking hours to do it all. I also find that I am generally not willing to sacrifice sleeping time for any reason except perhaps thevisualCollective.

Anyway. Last weekend tvC was in the Grand Canyon by means of the Havasupai reservation. 10 miles of strenuous hiking with a backpack holding everything you need for three days. My pack came out to about 35 pounds.

In total, I shot about 900 frames. Of those, I kept about 90. Of those, I really like the following:
(click to enlarge)















Strangely enough, I didn't really have much of a theme for this trip. I ended up shooting mostly at F/1.8 - so perhaps shallow depth of field counts as my theme. 
The only lens I brought was the 35mm F/1.8, and shooting it wide open all weekend reminded me of how much I enjoy limited DOF. It also forced me into high shutter speeds and 100 ISO for most of the time, which is uncharacteristic of me. I tend to keep my ISO at 800 or above much of the time - so getting out of that headspace was refreshing.

Here's a quick video I did to go along with these last couple images of Taylor: