Monday, October 31, 2011

Self limitation: gear

This last weekend I went down to Scottsdale with my lovely girlfriend. I chose not to bring my D300s, or any other "serious" camera gear. I could have gotten away with not bringing my computer had I not had some serious photoshopping to do over the weekend.

Anyway. Deprived of my big rig, my cell phone became my primary photographic tool, and I'm glad it did. Using only one app and being limited by my phone's low light performance and pathetic shutter speed, I got some fun creative stuff and spent a lot of time outside my usual "head-space," thinking up ways I could still get the image without thousands of dollars worth of camera and lenses.

Here are some of my favorite cellphone pictures in the last month or so... there are quite a few of them.























The more I think about it, the more I would love to sell all my fancy gear and shoot exclusively with a cell phone... mayhaps the iPhone 4s?

For now I need the fancy gear (at least most of it) to continue doing my job as a sports photographer. After that's over with - we'll see how much of it I retain and how much goes away for good... I expect to do some serious downsizing after the school year is over!!!