Friday, April 30, 2010

Shooting crap

Everybody has an off day once in a while. All photographers pro and amateur alike shoot crap. Lots of crap.

Over the last month I shot pretty much an entire crap-roll on expired C-41 process Black and White film.

I dont know if it was the gear or if I just wasn't paying attention, but most of my photos turned out blown out, blurry and just crappy in general. Some were partially salvageable, but looking through these photos was a fantastically humbling experience. It actually feels good to shoot crap once in a while, as long as there's no client to be disappointed.

Here are the three that don't hurt (too bad) to look at, after some considerable work in PS and Aperture.

Easily my favorite


botched the focus...


texture/reflection

I overexposed a solid 75% of the roll, screwed the focus on about 20%, and generally got terrible pictures. Granted, I shot using expired film, but that's no excuse - I've gotten great results out of ancient film before.

Luckily I didn't pay much for either the film or the development/processing. I guess I paid $4 for a few rolls of film. Processing and 26mb scans at Sams Club was a whopping $2.78. Those are monster scans for super cheap. Especially compared to what Mike's Camera, the shop I *used* to go to in Boulder, charges for the same thing (minimum $15).

That's all for now! Sorry about the Blog Lite around here - finals are approaching quickly and I only have so many hours in a day to procrastinate study...