Thursday, October 8, 2009

Underwater... (?)

STOP!
Before you read on, take a minute to decide: Are these goggles actually underwater? Click to enlarge, and take a good look. No cheating! For the record, I do have an underwater housing at my disposal.









As it turns out, they are NOT underwater.
But I did try pretty hard to make it look like they were.

Here's how:
1) Grabbed a blue fabric background and stretched it as tight as possible.
2) Added light behind the blue background blasting straight at it.
3) Added reflector on the table behind the background to bounce more light into the blue
4) Placed weird net object (the bag that came with the mask) such that it looks like a net
5) Placed goggles as high as possible on the stretched background (to keep it stretched, I used a 5lb sandbag)
6) Take 2-exposure image at f/2.2, 1 second, ISO 200, one way out of focus and one focused on the lettering on the strap

I would show you what it looked like with normal light... but the images sucked so bad I already deleted them.

In other news, I'm in The Lumberjack a few times today. Feel free to click through the paper and see which ones are mine!