Wednesday, October 28, 2009

On a dark and stormy night...

Well... it wasn't quite stormy... but it was dark, and night, and cold.

Sarah, my ever-faithful model sported heels, a dress and little more in 30 degrees to go take pictures with me this week.

My goal was to get a dark/creepy set of images with a mix of different lighting. The streetlights throughout Flagstaff are a really (I mean really) deep orange. At a manual White Balance of 2500 K they still looked REALLY orange.

So, I spent some time in Aperture and some more time in Photoshop, and came up with the following images.


This first one is my favorite from the series. 

 
Same shot in color. The 2500 K white balance led to the flash looking super blue, which I kept to add to the creepy-factor. (inspired by THIS photo and THIS one, made by one of the students in my PHO 282 class). I shot this as two seperate images and brought them together in Photoshop. I'm really glad I did, because the trees were really blue and needed a lot of color correction.



Again with the creepy. Sarah does that look really well, even while freezing. Kept her eyes in color as a reference to the Underworld posters featuring Kate Beckinsale's eyes.


(from IMDB.com)

 
I really wish I had a fog machine for this. The light coming from behind the tree is one of the orange streetlights, but if I could spread out the light a little, make the background nice and orange with a couple shafts of light streaming through the trees, it would be a much stronger photo.


As always, I welcome critique and constructive criticism.
(as always, there is no spellchecker!)