Thursday, August 18, 2011

California

I spent the last seven days in California, mostly between Orange and San Diego.

I took a fair few photos and had a fair few drinks. I read a couple books and started some serious planning for the future.

All in all, I had a great time! Miraculously, I produced a few photos that don't totally suck either.


Really gnarly low tide with solid 6'+ breakers meant that this Lifeguard (whose name I didn't get) spent a lot of time running back and forth on the beach, warning people that they might get their head smashed in by water. 


Sunset at looking out at the tide pools from my cozy spot on the beach. The beauty of a 200mm lens, other than making me look more badass than the rest of the photographers on vacation, is that it lets you creep photograph the people on the other side of the beach.


I shot this guy "surfing" for 15 minutes or so... which is to say I photographed him paddling to and fro a lot. He did eventually get up on a couple waves, but neither the waves nor his technique were spectacular. I would have loved to do more surfing photos while I was out there, but I didn't really have a long enough lens (or a big enough sensor) to reach/crop all the way out to the real action.