Tuesday, April 5, 2011

In over my head...

I've had a heckuva down day today. One of the worst I've had in a while.

To be fair, that isn't really saying much, because I'm almost always happy.

This week I'm starting work on thevisualCollective for real. I'm working with my two buddies Taylor and Andrew to make it not only a consortium of artists, but a small business. I'm in the business program at NAU, so I feel responsible for a lot of the stuff that's involved with getting things moving.

We have weekly goals. Last week was to get a printed portfolio. Piece of cake. This week I'm hoping to get a basic business plan together and start pitching to local businesses for sponsorship/parternship. I'm essentially going to be cold-calling these local business owners saying "Hey, I'm doing this great thing and I'd love for you to be a part of it. Wanna give me money? Products?"
That is a really daunting task. It feels like getting things together is the hardest part, and once I start the pitch process I'll have much more luck... Still - it seems like I'm in way over my head.

random picture...

I've never really started a business like this before - so I clearly fear the unknown. I have a lot of resources at my disposal, especially with the faculty at NAU being so approachable. I know that if I have questions, all I have to do is ask the right professor for feedback. I also know a fair number of small business owners - some of whom I'm sure would be more than happy to give me advice. Time for me to start calling them as well.

I guess I need to pull myself together and get things moving - ranting here helps me get my thoughts in order, my ducks in a row...

I hope your Tuesday was better than mine...