Friday, March 7, 2014

Thoughts

I've been off Facebook for the last 5 days except where I need to use it for work.

You know what I miss? Telling. I miss telling the world the random sections of my life, the inspiration I am finding because I'm not spending time on Facebook. I miss telling people about ME ME ME.

I don't miss the sharing from other people. I don't miss the baby pictures, puppy photos, complaints, drama from other people. I miss telling the world about me.

And that's kind of sad. And kind of stupid. And it makes me think I've been using Facebook the wrong way.

I should be celebrating the achievements people post, instead of focusing on my mundane day-to-day. Perhaps I should be offering to help when other people post their issues, instead of scrolling past them.

Maybe a little silly to be thinking this deeply about Facebook, but maybe it tells me something about our society and my chosen place in it.

Or maybe I should just stay off it for a while and see how things go.

In the meantime, here's an excellent essay by David DuChemin about living a life of "desperate intention." - http://davidduchemin.com/2014/03/desperate-intention/