Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Dive in!

Today's image is one of those that is good mainly because few people ever get the opportunity to see it. It isn't particularly sharp, but the color along with the unique POV make it.

I've been waiting to shoot this photo since I learned there was a submerged viewing deck in the diving end of NAU's pool. Located between the 1 and 3 meter boards about 6' from the surface, it is an ideal place from which to watch the divers. My buddy Scott showed me how to get to it, and I spent 30 minutes shooting divers. Along with this shot, I got many more (much more abstract) shots. I haven't done the necessary editing on those yet, but I will the next time I get bored.


Tech stuff: shooting at ISO 1600, about 1/100 second wide open at f/2.8 on my prime 28mm lens. I would LOVE to put a couple strobes down there, but I'm pretty sure that's way beyond the NAU Athletics budget for photography. As it is, I might be able to borrow some SCUBA gear and a housing so as to shoot the swimmers and divers from below. I think it would be a great opportunity, so all I have to do now is convince the Swim and Dive coaches to let me in on a practice.

I'll write more on that project as it comes along...
Have a fantastic day!